2017 Annual Information Statement – Consultation summary Question 2
(a) Should the AIS be used to ensure that charities provide up-to-date details for all responsible persons?
(b) If yes, which option do you prefer:
- updating the details of responsible persons in the AIS
- preventing a charity from submitting the AIS unless they confirm that the details of the responsible persons are current and up to date
- showing charities a preview of the ACNC Register before submitting the AIS, giving charities the opportunity to amend any details.
What you said
As demonstrated in the graphs, there was overwhelming support for allowing charities to update the details
of responsible persons in the AIS. Participants had a range of views on the options in the consultation paper:
- It would save time if you could submit your AIS and update your responsible persons’ details at the same time, instead of having to do so in different places on the website.
- Charities already have a responsibility to update details in a timely manner under the ACNC Act. Updating these details in the AIS could be seen as a conflict with the requirements of the ACNC Act.
- Displaying a preview of the ACNC Charity Register will raise awareness of the information held on the Charity Register and, with the help of a timely reminder, should encourage charities to self-regulate.
- Displaying a preview of the Charity Register (which will show responsible persons, subtype(s) and governing documents) may provide too much information and diminish the likelihood of the responsible persons’ details being updated.
- It needs to be a single, seamless process.
What we have done
- We will allow charities to update the details of responsible persons through the AIS. This will help to promote public trust and confidence in the sector by working to ensure the Charity Register is up to date.
- We will not display a preview of the Charity Register in the AIS at this stage. We suspect that displaying the entire Register page will make it harder for charities to identify how it can update its responsible persons.
- We will work to ensure that the process is as seamless as possible.