Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities Engagement Strategy
The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) recognises the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) controlled charities  and the important role they play in the provision of culturally appropriate services addressing the social and economic disadvantage experienced by many Indigenous Australians. The ACNC is committed to supporting measures to address the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. The ATSI Communities Engagement Strategy aims to enhance the ACNC’s engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations by:
Strengthening the ACNC’s organisational capacity through:
- building cultural competency within the ACNC staffing community
- developing ACNC’s understanding of the demographics of ATSI charities and the multilayered complexity of the contexts in which they operate
- developing culturally appropriate support, education and guidance materials.
Working to support ATSI charities to meet their ACNC Act obligations in partnership with:
- other regulators and funding agencies, to reduce red tape and coordinate engagement
- ATSI communities and charities.
Download the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities Engagement Strategy: