Annual Information Statement 2017
Hear And Say - Centre For Deaf Children Limited
Section A: Charity Information
Other names charity is known by (such as trading name):
- Hear and Say WorldWide
- Hear and Say Centre
- Hear and Say
Basic Religious Charity:
Section B: Activities
Did the charity operate in the 2017 reporting period?
Other health service delivery
- Early intervention to teach deaf children to listen and speak, Audiology to provide best access to sound, Cochlear Implants to overcome barriers to sound acquisition, Auditory-Verbal Therapy to bring listening and spoken language to deaf children once access to sound is established, eAVT to provide programs for rural and remote families, Microtia and Atresia specialist assistance to work with families whose child exhibits these issues, Social Skills Development to provide social skills, Education Support Program to train professionals, Parent Education to assist parents tin their role as prime educator of their deaf child, Professional Course to enhance skills, Research & Innovation to provide evidence based outcomes leading to clinical improvements, Hearing testing and audiological followup in primary schools.
Description of charity's activities and outcomes:
The primary objective of Hear and Say is to transform the lives of deaf children, their families, and the community by empowering the children with access to listening and spoken language. Hear and Say has proven that deaf children can learn to listen and speak through a combination of early diagnosis, advanced hearing technology, and our world leading service delivery model, which teaches parents to teach their children to listen and speak. The outcome for the child is for their language and literacy to be at the same level as their hearing peers, giving these children the best opportunity in their family, community, educational settings, and future. Strategic priorities are: Excellence in clinical practice and research, Sustainability - build on existing programs, address current resourcing needs and identify and develop new programs. Advocacy - the development, marketing and delivery of professional development training. In each of the past 6 years, 100% of children in Hear and Say's Early Intervention Program graduated to full inclusion in mainstream educational settings. The most recent parent surveys showed the vast majority of parents were 'very satisfied' with Hear and Say's overall service.
Children - aged 6 to under 15
- Early childhood - aged under 6
- Youth - aged 15 to under 25
- People with disabilities
Did the charity provide funded support and/or services to participants of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in the 2017 reporting period?
Does the charity intend to provide funded support and/or services to participants of the National Disability Insurance Scheme in the next reporting period?
Where the charity conducted activities during the 2017 reporting period:
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
Will the charity change or introduce any activities in the 2018 period?
Section C: Human Resources
- Full time employees: 40
- Part time employees: 23
- Casual employees: 6
- Full-time equivalent staff (FTE): 48
- Estimated number of volunteers: 4
Section D: Finance
Charity's 2017 reporting period:
1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017
Type of financial statement:
Special purpose financial statements
Financial report consolidated with more than one entity?
Comprehensive Income Statement summary
Donations and bequests:
Revenue from providing goods or services:
Revenue from government including grants:
Revenue from investments:
All other revenue:
Other income (for example, gains):
Total gross income:
Grants and donations made for use in Australia:
Grants and donations made for use outside Australia:
All other expenses:
Other comprehensive income:
Total comprehensive income:
Balance Sheet extract
Total current assets:
Non-current loans receivable:
Other non-current assets:
Total non-current assets:
Total current liabilities:
Non-current loans payable:
Other non-current liabilities:
Total non-current liabilities:
Financial report submitted to a state/territory regulator?
Section E: Annual report
Section F: Reporting to state or territory regulators
Is the charity an incorporated association?
Does the charity intend to fundraise in the next reporting period?