This section has information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-controlled organisations and charities.
- Do you have a question about your organisation becoming a charity?
- Do you have a question about running your charity?
- Do you want to raise a concern about a registered charity?
Call us on 13 ACNC (13 22 62) weekdays 9am to 5pm AEDT.
If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and would like to speak to an Aboriginal Liaison Officer, tell us when you contact us and we will arrange this for you.
Learn more about our commitment
If you want to find out more about more about our commitment to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities you can read:
- our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities Engagement Strategy
- the Commissioner’s Interpretation Statement: Indigenous charities
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander charities regulated by ORIC
This section has information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations registered under the CATSI Act (Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth)) with the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC):
|Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations: applying for charity registration with the ACNC|
|Meeting both ORIC and ACNC obligations||Obligations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations to ORIC and the ACNC|
|The ACNC Register||Information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations on the ACNC Register|
|The relationship between ORIC and ACNC||MOU between the ACNC and ORIC|
Indigenous governance tools
More information on Indigenous governance (Australia)
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Governance Institute
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research (CAEPR) – Australian National University
- Institute for Aboriginal Development
- Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning – University of Technology Sydney
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
- Ninti One: Information, Innovation, Ideas for Remote Australia
More information on Indigenous governance (International)
- National Centre for First Nations Governance – Canada
- Te Puni Kokiri – Effective Governance – New Zealand
- The Harvard Project on American Indian Economic Development – USA
- University of Arizona Indigenous Governance Database – USA
Australian Government Indigenous links
- Torres Strait Regional Authority
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet grants and incorporation requirements
State and territory government links
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
This page contains links to external websites. Any external links used by the ACNC are inserted for convenience and do not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any material at those sites. Information and resources provided by the ACNC is for general information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice regarding your charity's particular circumstances.