Today the Assistant Treasurer, the Hon. David Bradbury MP and the Minister for Social Inclusion, the Hon. Mark Butler MP jointly nominated Ms Susan Pascoe AM as the inaugural Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commissioner.
To be established from 1 October 2012, the ACNC will be operating as an independent statutory body located in Melbourne. The Commissioner will initially be responsible for:
- determining charitable and public benevolent institution status for all Commonwealth purposes;
- providing education and support to the sector;
- beginning the implementation of a 'report-once, use-often' general reporting framework for charities and;
- establishing a public information portal with a searchable database on charities.
Ms Pascoe is passionate about the not-for-profit sector, knows its issues and its people.
Ms Pascoe is looking forward to this challenging role. She has extensive senior executive experience in the NFP sector and on statutory bodies.
She is currently the head of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission Implementation Taskforce.
Ms Pascoe today said, "I feel privileged to be appointed to this role and I am looking forward to working with government and the not-for-profit sector to establish a world class regulator for the benefit of the Australian Community".
It is expected the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) legislation will be introduced this year with the new Commissioner taking office effective from 1 October 2012.
The appointment of Ms Pascoe now completes the ACNC leadership team who comprise:
- David Locke, Assistant Commissioner, Charity Services
- Murray Baird, Assistant Commissioner, General Counsel
- Jennifer Dobell, Director Business Services
- Rachel Smith, Director Advice Services
- Jan Sharrock, Director Communications
- Sallyann Stonier, Director Registration
- Shirley Southgate, Director Legal and Accounting
- Andrew Sealey, Director Compliance
- Sue Woodward, Director Policy and Education
- Jon Reid, Chief Accountant
Up to the minute information on the establishment of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission is now available on the ACNC Taskforce website.
Biography of Ms Susan Pascoe AM
Since 1 July 2011, Ms Pascoe has been the interim Commissioner and Head of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits (ACNC) Implementation Taskforce.
Until July 2011, Ms Pascoe was a Commissioner at the State Services Authority in Victoria focusing on regulatory reform. She served as one of three Commissioners on the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.
Ms Pascoe's earlier professional background was in education where she served as president of the Australian College of Educators, CEO of the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority and Chief Executive of the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria. She chaired the Australian National Commission for UNECO, was a Patron for the Melbourne Parliament for the World's Religions and served on the Board of Cabrini Health and the Senate of the Australian Catholic University.