The Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) Annual Report 2017–18 was tabled in Parliament on Friday 26 October 2018.
While 2017–18 was a period of substantial change and transition, the ACNC’s dedicated team has continued to work towards achieving our objects, while supporting charities, and assisting the public.
The ACNC’s notable achievements in 2017–18 include:
- Red tape reduction agreements that benefit 9,000 charities in Victoria and New South Wales
- A $3 million IT upgrade project that resulted in the launch of a new and improved ACNC website, Charity Portal and Charity Register in October 2018
- 900,000 searches of the Charity Register, representing a 19% increase on the previous year
- A 65% increase in investigations, resulting in 22 revocations of charity registration
- More compliance agreements, enforceable undertakings, and directions than in any previous year
- Reduced call wait times, with calls answered on average within 38 seconds — a significant improvement from 62 seconds in 2016–17
- 2,832 charities registered, with 98% of registration applications being finalised within 15 days of receiving all the information required to make a decision
- Over $20.6 billion in revenue and $9.2 billion in assets corrected on the Charity Register after charities were contacted to correct identified errors.
We would like to thank the charity sector and the wider community for their ongoing support throughout 2017–18.