Previous Annual Information Statements
Information you need to know
Confirm your reporting period.
If your charity’s reporting period is not the standard 1 July to 30 June financial year, you can request a substitute accounting period by logging into the ACNC Charity Portal and completing Form 4A: Request a substituted accounting period. Find out more about reporting.
Confirm your charity’s size – small, medium or large. Your charity’s AIS questions – and other obligations – vary depending on its size:
- Small charities: annual revenue less than $250,000
- the AIS includes basic financial questions, and
- you can choose to submit a financial report, but this is not required.
- Medium charities: annual revenue between $250,000 and $999,999
- the AIS includes financial questions, and
- you must submit a financial report that is either reviewed or audited.
- Large charities: annual revenue of $1 million or more
- the AIS includes financial questions, and
- you must submit a financial report that is audited.
Ensure the right person signs and submits your charity’s AIS.
Apply for Group Reporting if your charity is part of a group of registered charities, and would like to report together by preparing consolidated financial statements.
Report using Bulk Lodgement if you wish to lodge Annual Information Statements for more than 10 charities on a single form.
Ask the ACNC to withhold your charity’s information (in limited circumstances).
Most - but not all - of the information you provide in the 2019 AIS will be published on your charity’s listing on the ACNC Charity Register.
However, if you want to withhold information from the Charity Register, submit a request to do so through the Charity Portal before you complete your AIS. You can begin your AIS immediately after submitting your request.
Information to have on hand
Have the following information ready to help you answer questions in the 2019 AIS.
- Your Charity Portal sign in details.
- Annual reports and project reports. These will help you answer questions in the 2019 AIS about your charity’s activities, beneficiaries, employees and volunteers. The AIS also asks charities to upload or link to their most recent annual report so it can be displayed on the Charity Register.
- Pay As You Go (PAYG) payment summaries. These will help you answer questions about your charity’s staff numbers.
- Funder/donor/grant acquittal reports. This information will help you answer questions about your charity’s activities and beneficiaries.
- Your charity’s annual report. You may be asked to supply a link to your annual report, or to summarise information it contains when describing your charities activities, beneficiaries and aims.
- Your charity’s Incorporated Association Number, as well as information about your organisation’s annual general meeting, membership and fundraising (including any fundraising licence numbers).
- Balance sheet or statement of financial position, and statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income for the reporting period.
- Medium and large charities with no transitional reporting arrangements must submit financial statements for the reporting period, including:
- statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income
- statement of financial position
- statement of changes in equity
- statement of cash flows
- notes to the financial statements
- Responsible Persons’ declaration about the statements and notes – signed and dated. Download a Responsible Persons’ declaration template at acnc.gov.au/templates
- reviewer’s report/auditor’s report – signed and dated. Download a reviewers’ report/auditor’s report template at acnc.gov.au/templates
Return to the ACNC website, log into the Charity Portal and follow select the option to complete your charity's 2019 AIS.
Upon completing your charity's AIS, you can view and print a preview of your form prior to submission. Once you are ready to submit, press the Submit button. When your form is submitted you will receive an email with a PDF document listing your responses. You can keep this document for your records.
And if you realise after submission that you need to correct an error in either your charity’s AIS or financial report, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and inform us that you wish to re-submit with corrected information. For small charities, this statement or report is due within 60 days of you identifying the error. For medium and large charities, the statement or report is due within 28 days of you identifying the error.