The Australian Charities Report 2017 is now available!
Australian Charities Report 2017
The Australian Charities Report 2017 is the fifth annual analysis of the information we receive from charities in their Annual Information Statements. Key findings include:
- Total revenue of $146.1 billion
- Government grants as a revenue source increased by $7 billion
- Donations and bequests as a revenue source totalled $9.9 billion
- 3.3 million volunteers across Australia’s charities
- Most registered charities (36%) are ‘extra small’, a subset of small
- 30% of charities reported their main activity was religious activities
- 4,567 charities operate overseas
- The most common overseas operating locations include:
- Papua New Guinea
- New Zealand
- Australian Charities Report 2017 (PDF, 4.47 MB)
Explore the data
- Explore the interactive data here.
- Download Annual Information Statement data, and other ACNC data, by visiting our section on data.gov.au.
Previous Australian Charities Reports
For previous editions of the Australian Charities Report, see ACNC Reports.