The ACNC wishes those observing Ramadan this month peace, prosperity and good health.
Ramadan is a time when the Muslim community is very active in charitable giving, making compulsory donations (Zakaat) and voluntary donations (Sadaqa).
Whilst many people may provide their donations to relatives or to their local mosque for distribution, there are also many ACNC registered charities that can help.
Those who wish to donate to a registered charity are encouraged to check the ACNC Charity Register.
The Charity Register is a free, online database that you can search for registered charities. The Charity Register provides information on more than 54,000 charities, including who the charity benefits and where the charity operates.
Donors can also take these steps to be confident that they are giving to legitimate charities:
- Always ask for identification from door-to-door and street fundraising collectors.
- If you haven’t heard of an organisation, look them up on the Charity Register to see if they are registered.
- Do not provide your personal, credit card or online account details unless you know it is a trusted source.
- Do not open suspicious or unsolicited emails - delete them.
- If you think that there is something wrong, contact the charity directly and alert them to your concerns.
Visit the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s SCAMwatch website (scamwatch.gov.au) for information about the latest scams.
To access the Charity Register, visit acnc.gov.au/findacharity