This fact sheet provides an overview of laws and regulations affecting charities in Tasmania, not a complete guide. For more information about laws and regulations in Tasmania, please consult the relevant regulatory agencies.

Information on ACNC-related obligations can be found on our Ongoing Obligations page.

Fundraising in Tasmania is regulated by two government agencies:

Fundraising activities

Consumer Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) is responsible for registering and regulating organisations conducting fundraising activities.

A charity does not need to apply for fundraising approval if it is a company or incorporated association registered in Tasmania.

Charities that do not meet the criteria above must apply for fundraising approval through CBOS.

To find out more, visit the CBOS website or call 1300 65 44 99.

Authorised gaming

The Tasmanian Gaming Commission is responsible for regulating any fundraising conducted through authorised games, such as raffles.

To find out more, visit the Tasmanian Gaming Commission website.

Incorporated associations

Some charities in Tasmania are incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1964 (Tas). These are called 'incorporated associations' and usually have 'Inc.' or 'Incorporated' at the end of their name.

Incorporated associations have a number of responsibilities such as keeping appropriate financial records, following their rules and holding annual general meetings. These responsibilities are regulated in Tasmania by Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS).

Annual reporting obligations

From October 2016, there has been a change to the way that Tasmanian associations report.

Associations only need to report to the ACNC using the Annual Information Statement – they will not be required to submit a separate annual statement to CBOS.

As part of these changes, small associations are no longer required to have their financial statements reviewed or audited (unless this is required in the constitution). Small charities are not required to provide financial reports as part of the Annual Information Statement.

From the 2018 reporting period, medium and large associations must use accrual accounting when preparing their financial statements and ensure the financial statements meet all ACNC reporting requirements and comparative requirements will apply.

Other obligations

Associations must still notify CBOS of changes to the association’s name, details or rules:

When to contact the ACNC or CBOS

I want to: ACNC CBOS Additional information
Incorporate an association No Yes A charity must be approved as an incorporated association before applying to the ACNC.
Register as a charity Yes No
Change a charity’s rules Yes Yes Before a charity notifies the ACNC of a change to its rules, CBOS must approve the change.
Change a charity’s name Yes Yes Before a charity notifies the ACNC of a change to its name, CBOS must approve the change.
Update a charity’s address or contact details Yes Yes
Update a charity’s Responsible Persons, including the secretary Yes Yes
Submit the Annual Information Statement and financial report Yes No
Revoke a charity registration Yes No A charity must revoke its registration with the ACNC when it winds up.
Ending an association No Yes If an association is no longer running, it must notify CBOS.


A cooperative is a type of organisation that is owned, controlled and used by its members. There are different types of cooperatives.

Charities that are cooperatives are regulated by Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS). To find out more, visit the CBOS website.

Other legal structures

Information about reporting and other obligations for charities set up with other legal structures is available on these pages:

State taxes

Charities that operate in Tasmania may also be eligible to receive concessions on some state taxes, including payroll tax, land tax and stamp duty from the State Revenue Office.

To find out more, visit the State Revenue Office website.

Local government

Some local government authorities may offer concessions to charities. For more information, contact the local government authority in the areas where the charity operates.

You can search a directory of local government authorities in Tasmania on the website of the Department of Premier and Cabinet.

Other general obligations

There are a number of other laws that affect the operation of charities in Tasmania covering areas such as employment, trading, occupational health and safety and anti-discrimination. For example, charities are obliged to meet obligations under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (Tas).

Some charities may have responsibilities that are specific to their area of work. For example, charities that provide aged care services may need to meet other obligations or hold accreditations as part of working in this field, and charities that employ teachers may require their staff to comply with the Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania's Code of Professional Ethics.

Other regulators

The ACNC website has lists of state, territory and Commonwealth Government agencies with relevance to registered charities: