Fundraising activity in Victoria is regulated by Consumer Affairs Victoria and the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) regulates the majority of fundraising activities in Victoria and oversees the laws that govern fundraising across the state – Fundraising Act 1998 (Vic) and Fundraising Regulations 2009 (Vic)

The Fundraising Act 1998 (Vic) regulates fundraisers and fundraising appeals or activities.

Fundraising activities may include:

  • telephone and doorknock appeals
  • traffic intersection and highway collections (Note: These appeals generally also require separate approval from Victoria Police and the relevant local government)
  • golf days, movie nights and trivia nights
  • public appeals to support clubs, associations, causes or people
  • sale of goods where it is represented that part of the sale price is to be donated to a charitable organisation or cause

For more details about the activities regulated by CAV, refer to the CAV website.

CAV also maintains a public register of fundraisers.

Fundraising registration

An organisation or individual that intends to conduct a fundraising appeal in Victoria, unless they are specifically exempted, needs to register as a fundraiser.
Individuals and organisations exempt from the requirement to register include:

  • religious organisations (recognised denominations)
  • registered trade unions and political parties
  • hospitals and certain other health organisations funded by the government
  • a variety of schools and educational institutions
  • organisations that receive less than $10,000 gross in a financial year from fundraising, are not paid for conducting the fundraising and use only unpaid volunteers

The registration period is for three years and there is no fee to register.

CAV has requirements for registration as a fundraiser. Those wishing to fundraise need to fulfil a number of requirements set down by CAV. These include:

  • clearly identifying the fundraising beneficiaries
  • ensuring key individuals or organisation staff complete a criminal record and personal insolvency declaration
  • the ability to provide a Victorian address as the fundraiser’s principal place of business

Special provisions may apply for emergency appeals, and for incorporated associations operating outside Victoria that wish to fundraise within the state.

There are also conditions on registration as a fundraiser which may require fundraisers to disclose the percentage of funds raised that are to be distributed to beneficiaries. For detail on these conditions, see the information on the CAV website.

For more details on these exemptions, see the CAV website.

Fundraising legislation in Victoria also sets specific ongoing responsibilities for fundraisers, including the requirement to maintain records, the use of fundraiser identification, and the use of collection tins in appeals. You can read about these responsibilities on the CAV website.

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) regulates raffles, lotteries and other gaming activities – including those run by charities as fundraising activities – under the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (VIC).

In Victoria, charities conducting such activities to raise funds may not need to register with CAV as fundraisers. However, they may still be required to comply with certain rules under the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 (VIC), including the need to obtain registration as a “community or charitable organisation” from VCGLR.

For more information, visit the community and charitable gaming section of the VCGLR’s website.

Please note: the definition of “community or charitable organisation” applied by the VCGLR may differ from the legal definition of charity applied by the ACNC to register organisations as charities at the federal level.

Please note: this fact sheet is an overview of fundraising laws and regulations in Victoria, not a complete guide. For more information about fundraising laws and regulations in Victoria, please consult the relevant regulatory agencies.