This guide includes additional information for charities that operate in Victoria. Information on ACNC-related obligations can be found on our Ongoing Obligations page.

Charities that fundraise

Fundraising in Victoria is regulated by two government agencies:

In Victoria, fundraising activities are regulated under the Fundraising Act 1998 (Vic).

Fundraising licences/registrations

From 1 September 2020, charities will benefit from a new arrangement between the ACNC and Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Newly registered charities - who are required to obtain a fundraising registration - can access a streamlined registration process with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

These charities only need to notify Consumer Affairs Victoria of their intention to fundraise by logging in to the charity fundraiser account on myCAV.

Renewal of registrations

As long as a charity maintains its registration with the ACNC, it will not need to renew its fundraising registration with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

To take part in this arrangement, charities that already have a fundraising registration number will need to log in to myCAV and notify Consumer Affairs Victoria that it is registered with the ACNC.

Annual reporting

Charities will still be required to maintain fundraising records, but will not be required to submit separate annual statements to Consumer Affairs Victoria – instead, they can submit the Annual Information Statement to the ACNC.

Medium or large charities that only fundraise in Victoria will need to ensure that the financial reports they provide to the ACNC meet all ACNC reporting requirements.

The ACNC has approved a transition period for the 2020 and 2021 reporting periods to help charities adjust to these requirements.

Community and charitable gaming activities (such as raffles) are regulated by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCLGR).

Charities that wish to stage gaming activities must apply to the VCLGR for a permit. Permits must be renewed every 10 years.

For more information, and a list of declared community and charitable organisations, visit the VCLGR website or call 1300 182 457.

Incorporated associations

Some charities in Victoria are incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic). These are called 'incorporated associations' and have 'Inc.' or 'Incorporated' at the end of their name.

Incorporated associations have a number of responsibilities such as keeping appropriate financial records, following their rules and holding annual general meetings. These responsibilities are regulated by Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Annual reporting obligations

Most incorporated associations can take part in a streamlined reporting arrangement between the ACNC and Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Associations only need to report to the ACNC using the Annual Information Statement. They will not be required to pay an annual fee or submit an annual statement to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

The Annual Information Statement includes additional information that we collect on behalf of Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Charities must answer these additional questions to take advantage of this arrangement. Charities that do not answer these questions will need to submit an annual statement to Consumer Affairs Victoria.

These arrangements do not apply to associations that:

  • form part of an ACNC approved reporting group, or
  • have been approved by the ACNC to withhold financial details (for example, total revenue) or financial reports from the ACNC Charity Register.

All associations must continue to submit financial statements to members at Annual General Meetings.

Medium and large associations must ensure financial reports they provide to the ACNC meet all the ACNC reporting requirements.

To help associations adjust to these requirements, the ACNC has provided a two-year transitional reporting arrangement, covering the 2018 and 2019 reporting periods.

Other obligations

Associations must still notify Consumer Affairs Victoria of changes to the association’s name, details or rules:

When to contact ACNC or Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)

Task ACNC CAV Additional information
Incorporate an association No Yes
Register as a charity Yes No A charity must be approved as incorporated associations before applying to the ACNC.
Change a charity’s rules Yes Yes

Before a charity notifies the ACNC of a change to its rules, Consumer Affairs Victoria must approve the change.

Change a charity’s name Yes Yes
Update a charity’s address or contact details Yes Yes
Update a charity’s Responsible Persons (committee members) including the secretary Yes Yes
Submit the Annual Information Statement and financial report Yes No
Revoke a charity registration Yes No A charity must revoke its registration with the ACNC when it winds up.
Wind up an association No Yes If an association is no longer running, it must be wound up with Consumer Affairs Victoria too.
Cooperatives and other legal structures

A cooperative is a type of organisation that is owned, controlled and used by its members. There are different types of cooperatives.

Charities that are cooperatives are also regulated by Consumer Affairs Victoria.

To find out more, visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

Other legal structures

Information about reporting and other obligations for charities set up with other legal structures is available on these pages:

State taxes

Charities that operate in Victoria may also be eligible to receive concessions on some state taxes, including payroll tax, land tax and stamp duty from the State Revenue Office.

Visit the State Revenue Office website for more information on state taxes and concessions, or call 13 21 61.

Local government

Some local government authorities may offer concessions to charities. For more information, contact the local government authority in the areas where the charity operates.

Search a directory of local government authorities in Victoria on the Know Your Council website.

Other general obligations

There are a number of other laws that affect charities in Victoria covering areas such as employment, trading, occupational health and safety and anti-discrimination. For example, charities are obliged to meet obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (2004).

Some charities may have responsibilities that are specific to their area of work. For example, charities that provide aged care services may need to meet other obligations or hold accreditations as part of working in this field.

Other regulators

This fact sheet is an overview of laws and regulations affecting charities in Victoria, not a complete guide. For more information about laws and regulations in the Victoria, please consult the relevant regulatory agencies.

The ACNC website has lists of state, territory and Commonwealth Government agencies with relevance to registered charities: